Sunday, March 4, 2012

Testimony

Maliya decided today was the day to bear her first testimony. Shannon and I are not big fans of the 'whisper into the ear, and then repeat' testimony. So when Maliya leaned over and whispered to Shannon, "they are talking into that microphone, I want to go up there and do that." Shannon, quickly decided this should be dad's problem, and told here to 'talk to dad'. I explained to her that she could go bear her testimony, but that she would have to stand at the microphone by herself and talk. She agreed. I then asked her what she was going to say. I rubber stamped what she told me and sent her back to Shannon to take her to the pulpit. (Dad decided this would now be mom's problem). Shannon reviewed with Maliya one more time the contents of her testimony and they headed to sit by the bishopric and wait their turn.
The previous brother sounded as though he was wrapping up his testimony. I thought 'oh good, the less time Maliya has for waving at the congregation, the better.' Unfortunately, he dove into one more thought. I suddenly became busy talking Rachel out of running up to be with Mom and Maliya as I also acknowledge Maliya's waves. I proceeded to show Maliya my folded arms in hopes that my good example would help take the congregations focus off of Maliya, at least until it was her turn.
The first counselor lowered the podium, Maliya march right up to the pulpit, and -practically sucking on it- began her testimony. The result of the proximity of her month to the microphone made it so that no one was confused about how her parents loved her and how 'Jesus growed up and got hurt'.
Shannon was next. She explained how she was thankful that Jesus did grow up and was 'hurt' for our sins because he loved us and that because of His atonement we can be together forever with the families we love. Maliya, in a very distraught voice, said, "I forgot to say that."
Don't worry Maliya, there is always next month. And instead of sending dad with you, we will send Rachel...she is excited to follow your example.

1 comment:

Sharee said...

You guys are so good at telling stories! This was so funny! I can't believe Maliya is that brave! Considering she is sort of shy! Crazy!