Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Compression Socks

My first pregnancy, I didn't get varicose veins at all. My second pregnancy, I got some, but it wasn't so bad. I do have one visible left over vein right in the center of my right calf, tho. My third pregnancy, the varicose veins were a big problem. Painful. Debilitating. I had to go ahead and purchase some lovely compression socks, when I was pregnant with Katie. But not just any socks. My vein problems are primarily behind my knee and above. So, I got to wear compression THIGH HIGHS! Nice. Any girl who has ever worn thigh highs before, knows the problems that accompany them. You've either got thigh highs that are too loose and fall right down, or you've got some that are too tight and cut off your circulation. There is no middle ground. Well, as you can imagine, compression socks are not loose. But they don't necessarily stay all the way where they are supposed to be, either. They kind of roll down a little, and then cut off circulation at mid thigh. It's wonderful. Even after Katie was born, I ended up needing to wear those lovely things from time to time, on days when I am on my feet a lot.
Now that I am pregnant again, I need my compression thigh highs a bit more often. One morning, Katie came in and was tugging on my hand saying "need food!" I pulled myself out of bed, and started to get dressed. I pulled off my pajama pants and Katie immediately went ballistic! She started crying and screaming and trying to pull my pants back up while crying "pants on!"
I then proceeded to put on my compression socks. If I thought Katie was being unreasonable about my pajama pants, she was being down right CRAZY when I put those compression socks on! Screaming, stomping, panicking, pulling, hitting...you name it. Well, let's just say that my morning mood is not as good as Rachel's. And, Katie had already kept me up the ENTIRE night previous to this. So, in my mother-of-the-year way, I responded with "You don't like my compression socks? YOU DID THIS TO ME!" Yep, I'm an awesome mom. I proceeded to put on my jeans and some regular socks on top, so Katie wouldn't have to see any portion of the compression socks. I was hoping a little "out of sight, out of mind" trickery would help. As I walked out of my room and into the kitchen, Katie followed me, trying to pull my pants off and screaming the whole way. When she finally realized that I would not be removing my compression socks, she started screaming "DADDY!!!!"  She ran out in the garage and stood in the place where Brian's car is normally parked. Brian had already left for work. She stood there on the cold cement stomping and crying and screaming for like a half an hour. I told Maliya to try to coax her inside. Katie knows that Maliya is the one that will always save her. I gave Maliya the green light to try anything she thought would help. She tried cookies, she tried threatening to lock her outside. Nothing. I finally broke down and had Brian come home for a couple minutes (it's nice that he only works a couple minutes away!) and calm her down.
The Topham women need more sleep. We're goin' crazy up in here!
And don't worry. I have made a note to myself: Don't let Katie see you putting your compression socks on!

1 comment:

Sharee said...

Shannon! Why have we not talked about this yet! My legs are killing me! But the calf compression socks are not enough this time around... they go all the way up my thighs. I have been trying to figure out what to do. I leave my socks on my nightstand and the are the last things I take off at night and the first things I put on in the morning. I won't even get out of bed unless it is extremely necessary once the socks are off. Even walking down the hall is just too painful. Stupid veins! My kids have not had an adverse reaction to them though... haha! That is hilarious!