Saturday, June 30, 2012

Road Rash

Since moving, Maliya and Rachel have often told me that they miss their old house. Their reasons are everything from missing their old friends, to missing having a bookcase outside their bedroom door. ??? I don't know why that was important. Now that the weather is warm, and we have the chance to go outside and play, Maliya has come to the most important reason of all: It was so much easier to ride bikes and scooters at our old house! Yeah, living on a hill is rough!
Last night, we all went outside to enjoy the cooler temperatures for a little while. Brian and I staked out locations for a retaining wall, while the kids rode their bikes around. After running across the street to see if Sophie could play, Rachel ended up in the middle of the road on her bike...going down hill. Normally, when she rides her little, red, Radio Flyer Tricycle down the hill, she just puts her little feet down on the ground to help slow herself down slightly. But, on this particular occasion, we had -somehow- neglected to make her put shoes on...so, obviously, she did not put her feet down on the ground, but instead held them out in the air. That little girl quickly got going very fast! Before I knew it, that little trike hit a rock and came to a sudden halt, and that little girl continued flying forward. :( 

Here is her scraped up knee (as of this evening, a day later):
 
 And her scraped up elbow:
To be honest, I cannot figure out how she escaped scraping her entire face off! But those were her only two real wounds. When I took Rachel inside to care for her wounds, I was very impressed with how well she took it. I was expecting a lot of screaming and crying as I washed her scrapes with soap and applied "medicine," but she did neither and hardly even complained!
As I applied neosporen to her knee, she said (in her cute little accent) "Yeah, dat's puhfect." Haha, how adorable is she? I skipped the hydrogen peroxide on her knee, as it didn't look too bad, but I did put some on her elbow. "Oooo, dat one hurts!" She said. Then I moved on to the neosporen, reassuring her that this one was going to be soft and nice. "Yeah, dat's bettuh," she confirmed. After putting a bandaid on, I wrapped her elbow up in an ace bandage (to keep her from pulling her bandaid off in 2 minutes). As I finished up all the bandaging, she told me again "Dere, dat's puhfect."
...Man, I love her. Poor little thing.

1 comment:

Sharee said...

Kyla says to tell Rachel, "It's OK" and she "Is sorry." That story is so sad and cute at the same time! I love her little comments. I bet you were scared watching her fly down that hill. Poor thing.