Maliya and Rachel both had their first dental appointments ever, about a month ago. I know that Rachel is a little young, still, but putting Maliya on our insurance meant putting the whole family on. So, I figured, as long as Rachel's insured, I may as well take her in, too!
I set it up so that my appointment was first. They were able to watch me and see that it wasn't painful or scary. Next it was Maliya's turn. Let's be honest. Maliya is a pretty timid kid. I talked to her about visiting the dentist for about a month...maybe more...in preparation for this appointment. I had been pretty nervous about how this visit to the dentist would go, but I was very surprised and proud to see that Maliya was PERFECT! She did not whine or cry or try to run away AT ALL! She sat in that chair all by herself and opened wide and let the hygienist do EVERYTHING! She got her teeth scraped, cleaned, polished, and even got some fluoride. I was so amazed!
(These pictures are awful, I know, I just snapped them on my phone)


They didn't do X-rays, but said that her teeth were looking good. The dentist said he liked the spacing between her teeth. He could tell by her bite that she is a thumb sucker, but said it is not too big of a problem until her permanent teeth start coming in. So...we will work on that.
Rachel climbed up on the chair for her turn and let the hygienist clean her front two teeth (I was also amazed at this!) but then decided she was done. She locked her mouth closed and climbed back down. Oh, well. We didn't push it. It was a good first experience, right? We'll try again in a year.
No comments:
Post a Comment