Rachel is my binki baby. We only give it to her when she is sleeping, but anytime she sees other babies with binkies in their mouths, she gets jealous. I have been slightly concerned about how she would handle seeing the baby with a binki all the time, and have been tempted to wean her from hers far enough in advance that it wouldn't bother her. But...who really wants to go through the trouble of weaning their baby from a binki? So I just didn't do it. One night, when Brian was putting Rachel in bed, he couldn't find her binki, so he just put her in bed without it...he just didn't bring the topic up to her, and apparently she didn't bring it up to him either. When I found this out, I waited and listened carefully to the monitor, expecting her to begin crying for her binki (which she calls 'si-si') at any moment. She never did.
The next day, I thought, "If she asks for her binki, I will give it to her, but I won't offer it to her and we will see how it goes." She didn't ask for it. Two weeks went by
and Rachel never did ask for her binki! "That was so easy!" I thought.
But, then, it happened. After two weeks without any word about the binki, one day she just started crying and crying for her "si-si." So, what did I do? I did what any good mother would do: Pretended like I had no idea what she was talking about!
As it turns out, she also calls her blankie "si-si," so I said, "What? You want your blankie? Here it is!"
"NO! I. Want. My. Si-si!" she said.
"You want a fishy?" I 'guessed.' (Yes, the word si-si, in Rachel-language has MANY meanings).
"NO! I. Want. My. SI-SI!!!"
"Your blankie is right here!" I said again.....
Ok, maybe NOT a mother of the year moment. But, on the bright side, Rachel has been binki-free for about a month, now! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment