Friday, August 1, 2014

Kid Conversations

Size Matters
This morning, I made pancakes for breakfast! As I stood at the griddle, flipping the flaps, the girls quickly finished their one pancake each, while Brian enjoyed his three. Then, Maliya scurried over to me, grabbed the last available pancake and sat back down at the table. The following gem of a conversation ensued:
Brian: Where did you get that pancake? Maybe if I'd known there was another one, I would have eaten it myself.
Maliya: Maybe you're just big and slow.
Whoa! Burned!  Brian and I shared a surprised glance.
Brian: Maybe people don't like being called 'big and slow'.
Maliya: Well, maybe not 'slow'. But 'big' is nice.
Me: Only kids like being called 'big'.
Maliya (in complete shock): Adults don't like being called big?! Why not?
Brian: The grass is always greener...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marriage
Over the last couple weeks, Rachel has -it seems- been thinking a lot about marriage. Specifically, who she should choose to marry. One day, she told me that she thought she should either marry Brady or Dallin, because Ethan was too big. But, despite the ten year age difference...she just can't help liking that Ethan. A few days later, while she was getting ready for bed, she saw Ethan out mowing the lawn and asked if she could go say 'hi'. I told her she could say 'hi' and then she had to come straight home. She opened the front door, yelled "hi, Ethan!", slammed the door and skipped/bounced away giggling giddily. Funny girl. Then a couple days later, she was again saying "I just don't know. Should it be Dallin, Brady or Ethan?" Maliya shared her opinion "Not Ethan, he's too big..." But her opinion was quickly dismissed with a: "I WAS TALKING TO MYSELF!" Whoa. Maliya just replied "If you're talking to yourself, you should do it in your head. That way no one interrupts you." Sound advice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Careers
As we were exiting Costco, the other day, Maliya said, in desperation, "I just don't know what I want to be
When I grow up!"
Me: Well, you've got some time, before you have to decide...what are some of the things you are thinking about?
Maliya: Well, I might want to be a mom, cuz that's easy!
Me (thinking): Uhhh, easy, huh? You might be in for a rude awakening, with that one...
Maliya: Or maybe a teacher...or someone who works in a store! And I just don't know which one!
Rachel: I don't want to be a mom! That would be HARD!
Wow, the different viewpoints are kind of surprising, since they are sisters and about the same age...
Me: Yeah, it can be hard sometimes, but there's nothing better than having your own kiddos!
Maliya: But maybe I should just be a mom, because if I'm gonna marry Brady, then I should be a mom.
Me: Maybe you can work in a store while you go to college, then you can get married and have kids and be a mom, and then when your kids get older and they are all in school, you can be a teacher and only have to be gone when they are gone to school and you can all come home together!
Maliya got really excited about that plan. That is now her plan for a career path. 

1 comment:

Sharee said...

Ohhhh, I love these conversations your girls say. They are hilarious and I LOVE that you capture them for later. So perfect.