Our ward recently put on a Gold and Green Ball (if you haven't heard of that before, it's because they are no longer common, but my understanding is that President Hinkley met his wife at a Gold and Green Ball...not sure on that one, though). The ball turned out beautifully! The cultural hall looked great (if you can imagine), there was tons of good food, and a projector in the back was playing famous dancing scenes throughout the decades (including the classics like Fred Estair, Shirley Temple and Dirty Dancing). One half of the cultural hall was set up for sitting and eating, the other half was a dancing floor, complete with DJ's. Representing each decade from the 20's on, ward members volunteered to dance a common dance from that era. Afterwards, the DJ's would play a popular song from that time and everyone was invited to come to the dance floor and shake their booties. To my surprise, Brian came home from church about a month before the ball and told me that he had volunteered us to do the Lindy Hop at the ball. I had never even
heard of the Lindy Hop --the dance from which Swing Dance evolved-- and Brian had only learned the basic step way back in highschool.
Of course, like we do with everything, we ended up procrastinating learning it until the last week. We spent a LOT of time practicing those last three days before the ball, and this is how it turned out:
It was taken pretty far away, but I think it's best that way. Now you can't pick out our mistakes quite as well!
2 comments:
I LOVE this idea. I dont dance very good.....well you know how I dance but this would be so fun to do. I will have to remember this when the ward needs an idea!
Hey there....Hinckley didn't actually meet his wife at the ball but it was their first date as listed on ldsorg. You guys did great, the suspenders ruled!!!
Thanks for coming......
Post a Comment