Friday, December 5, 2008

Under Sad Circumstances

All of my siblings were together, again, for the first time in close to 3 years. Unfortunately, it was under sad circumstances. About 3 months ago, my mother was diagnosed with cancer. I emailed my brother, Matt, and let him know of the situation, and he asked me to keep him updated on how she was doing. After my mom tried several alternative approaches to healing cancer, she ended up in the hospital in the middle of November. Brian, Maliya and I all went to visit her, there, in the hospital on 17th. It was obvious at that time, that she was not doing well. A day or two later I emailed Matt (who lives in Germany) and let him know that I thought she could possibly die within a week and most likely within a month. As soon as Matt came across the email (it was evening in Germany) he hopped on the internet and searched for a flight to Salt Lake City. He found one that was leaving the following morning and purchased the ticket (contrary to "juicy family gossip," he wanted to come see his mother. No one had to talk him into it, and no one paid for his ticket. I am aware of how much family loves their gossip, but if you actually asked the person involved, you would usually find your rumor is completely made up). After flying all day long, Matt arived in UT on Thursday night and spent the night at Kira's place in Salt Lake area. Friday morning, Megan, Matt, Kira, Bryn and I (along with Addy and Maliya) all went to visit my mom. It was a good reunion and went very well. Saturday, my mom left the hospital to have hospice care from her home, and Sunday afternoon, she passed away. During the following week, I was reunited with several relatives on my mom's side who I had not seen in many years (and one aunt whom I had never before met!) and it was wonderful to see them and hear their stories of my mother. On Saturday, we had the funeral, and on Sunday (a week after my mother's passing) Matt flew home to Germany. It sure was great to spend time with my family, despite the sad circumstances.
This is a picture I took of my brother and my husband playing Wii...I thought it was funny how similar the back of their heads looked!



4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Although I dont know the details of the "gossip"- good for you to stand up for family and your brother. This is a time for family to be united and love each other and it looks like you have that complete perspective. Oh and as a side note: Can we get together for lunch? We need to hang out. :) I love you and I want the very best for you!

Camille said...

I was un-aware of any of the said "family gossip". I'm sorry that your family get together had to be under such sad circumstances, but am glad that you were all able to be together!:) I heard your Mother's funeral was beautiful, and I sure wished I could've been there!! You are all still in our prayers!

Davianne said...

I never heard any of that gossip ether. Odd.
I'm glad you all got to be together again. Too bad no one thought to get a picture of all you siblings together before Matt had to go back. Hopefully it won't be to long before you can all get together again. (that is a funny picture.)

Chrystal Wilcox said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. It is good that everyone got a chance to say good bye.