Monday, September 21, 2015

Garden Wheat

I'm experimenting with an heirloom/self sufficient garden. The idea is to not have to buy seeds each year. Here is my lettuce that I am letting go to seed. It's huge!
Here are my onions. I'm suppose to be able to pull these out before the first hard freeze, an then plant them again I. The spring and have them propagation like any other bulb plant.
...lets just say I was expecting bigger bulbs...
My carrots turned out well. 

I'm also experimenting with growing wheat! Here is about 2/3 of what I grew, after I cut it and stood it in "shocks" in my kitchen to dry.
I let it dry for about 2 weeks, then pulled the heads off the straw and put them inside a pillow case. 
Then it was time to thresh. We took a rubber mallet and pounded that pillow case, to knock the wheat "berries" off the heads. 
Then we were left with the berries and chaff to separate.

No comments: