But, right around 30 weeks, I started having contractions. I had them for 2 hours straight, that week, and they were pretty intense. I continued to have them some days and some days not. By my OB appointment at 38.5 weeks (Monday, Aug 15th), I was dilated to 3.5 and then I had the doctor "stretch" me, and then had him set up an induction for Thursday (the first day they would let me be induced...I was SO done with being pregnant!).
I checked in to the hospital Thursday morning at 10:15. Here I am: 39 weeks pregnant, and about to have my baby!
They started me on Pitocin at about 11:15 am, broke my water at 11:30. I got an epidural shortly after that, and can I just say that I have never had an epidural work QUITE that effectively before! In general, those are just supposed to numb the lower body, but that thing had my entire body numb! Even my brain felt numb. I had to ask them to turn it down. The nurse then tried to talk me out of it, which I thought was weird. I guess, the anesthesiologist was helping in a surgery and was currently unavailable to turn it down, and she was only authorized to turn it off, not down. Despite her concerns, I told her to turn it off. By the time the anesthesiologist came in, my head felt normal again, but the medicine had not totally drained from the rest of me. I had him turn it down 2 points and it worked great from there on.
They started me on Pitocin at about 11:15 am, broke my water at 11:30. I got an epidural shortly after that, and can I just say that I have never had an epidural work QUITE that effectively before! In general, those are just supposed to numb the lower body, but that thing had my entire body numb! Even my brain felt numb. I had to ask them to turn it down. The nurse then tried to talk me out of it, which I thought was weird. I guess, the anesthesiologist was helping in a surgery and was currently unavailable to turn it down, and she was only authorized to turn it off, not down. Despite her concerns, I told her to turn it off. By the time the anesthesiologist came in, my head felt normal again, but the medicine had not totally drained from the rest of me. I had him turn it down 2 points and it worked great from there on.By about 2:30 I was dilated to a 7. Then, about 30-40 min later, the nurse told me that I was dilated to 10, but not to push until the doctor got there. :) Uhh, good thing that epidural was working so well? The doctor didn't take too long to get there, though. Once everyone was ready, I pushed through 2 contractions and then our girl was born at 3:27 pm!
She weighed in at 8 lbs 8 oz, and 19 inches long.
Meeting the family! Thank you to Bryn, Camille, Trina, Alisha and Sharee for watching our girls while we were in the hospital!
She weighed in at 8 lbs 8 oz, and 19 inches long.
Meeting the family! Thank you to Bryn, Camille, Trina, Alisha and Sharee for watching our girls while we were in the hospital!As soon as Maliya walked in to our hospital room, she scoured the room to find her new baby sister. She was SO excited to meet her! She has been waiting and asking about this day for months now!

All us girls together!

After racking our brains for months to try and decide on the right name. We finally decided on her name (just as we were walking out of the hospital). Katie Topham. Welcome to the world, Katie! We are SO excited to have you!


All us girls together!

Brian caught us sleeping.

After racking our brains for months to try and decide on the right name. We finally decided on her name (just as we were walking out of the hospital). Katie Topham. Welcome to the world, Katie! We are SO excited to have you!
3 comments:
Congrats!!!!! I am so excited for you!!! Was Katie the name Maliya picked out? Let me know what I can do for you and when we can play and come and see the baby. How cute! Hope you are doing well
She's beautiful! I'm glad being induced sent so well. Thanks for sharing the story! Do you think she looks a lot like Brian? I do!
Congratulations! Looks like you are going to have a couple eager helpers at home :). Did you give her a middle name? We are also still deciding on names. It can be so difficult! Paige's only suggestions thus far were "kaitlynn"(her baby cousins name), and "sister."
Glad everything went well!
Post a Comment